Like New York Except It's Actually Serious
Hey did you all realize that DC is so zeitgetist-y now? It's true! The New York Times, your new DC alt-weekly, totally went to this one club and it was so cool. And now Obama is the new sixth borough. Celebrate your city all weekend long, by engaging its many many activities. And then Wednesday, celebrate alcohol by disturbing David Denby reading selections from his new book about being respectful to one another.
- Appalachia-inspired Junior League Band will be, with Hoots and Hellmouth, playing at the Black Cat. 9 PM; $12. [Black Cat]
- Velvet Lounge is hosting the trickily homophonic Godisheus (say it outloud [SFW]) along with Elikeh tonight at 9 PM. $8; 21+. [Velvet Lounge]
- See famous person Richard Avedon's portraits of other famous people. (Last chance to do this, not on the Internet, is Sunday.) 10 AM to 5 PM; $14. [Corcoran]
- Celebrate Barack Obama by indulging your inner-Bobo, and what better way to do this than go to Alexandria's Inaugural Restaurant Week (besides if Bethesda were having its Restaurant Week)? [Visit Alexandria]
- The pleasant and pleasantly folksy Colourmusic are playing Iota Cafe at 9 PM. $8 [Iota Club & Cafe]
- Unremarkable presidential debate moderator Gwen Ifill stops by to Politics & Prose to talk about her book The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama. 6 PM. [Politics & Prose]
- There's free yoga, all day today, thanks to something called "National Yoga Day". Use its fancy locator thing to find free yoga nearby. [Yoga Day USA]
- Celebrate the Chinese New Year at the Smithsonian. Free recession-proof paper lanterns! 1 PM to 4 PM; free. [Washington Post]
- DC natives the Aquarium are headed to the Black Cat this evening. 9 PM; $8. [Black Cat]
- Nostalgia-inducing Reel Big Fish is playing at the 9:30 Club at 6:30 PM. Show's sold out but can't hurt to show up at the door the night of, except you will have of course already traveled there. Still, fun outing! [9:30 Club]
Bonus Wednesday To-Do:
- David Denby, who since the 80s has famously tried to convince everyone that he's out of touch, will be talking about his latest list of grievances called Snark at Dezenhall Resources, Ltd. on Wednesday from 12 PM to 1 PM (happy hour). You're encouraged to go to this thing wasted, it will be soooo contrarian.