Daily Briefing: 'Eerily Prescient Predictions'
• White House situation room received warnings from the Department of Homeland Security about Katrina's "likely impact, including eerily prescient predictions of breached levees, massive flooding, and major losses of life and property"; FEMA also had dire forecasts two days before the storm hit. [WP, NYT]
• White House and Jack Abramoff refuse to release photographs of meetings with Bush. McClellan: "Trying to say there's more to it than the president taking a picture in a photo line is just absurd." [WP, NYT]
• GOP dominance of congressional practices results in criticism of the structure and lobbying; Democrats shut out from negotiations. [WP]
• Bush's ballooning budgets bother fiscal conservatives. [W$J]
• Approval of Bush holds at 43% in Gallup Poll. [USAT]