Daily Briefing: 'Extreme Political Jeopardy'
• "Only extreme political jeopardy" would cause Rove's departure because of Bush's dependence on him. GOP pollster: "Most Americans are far more concerned about their summer vacations." [WSJ]
• Mehlman addresses NAACP as Bush speaks at Indiana Black Expo. Mehlman: "Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong." [WP, NYT, LAT, USAT]
• Senators quarrel over Homeland Security budget before passing $32b plan that allots $50m less for transportation security than the current budget; immigration amendments were a hot topic on the floor, especially among '08 contenders. [NYT, WSJ, WT]
• Gang of 14 meet over doughnuts to discuss hypotheticals for Supreme Court nominations. [NYT]
• Christian telecast set to blast Supreme Court's "hostility toward religion and Christianity in particular." [NYT]
• Boxer, Obama threaten to block nominees to the EPA unless agency comes clean. [LAT]
• Pataki hits Iowa to gauge prospects of a presidential campaign. [NYT]