Daily Briefing: 'Gosh, I Hope There's War'
* Chertoff only became aware of port deal after it was approved. [WT]
* Rove dismisses objections, saying lawmakers "are just picking up and reading something in the newspaper, hearing something on talk radio." [WP]
* Bush raises $1.6m for congressional candidates during visits to Indiana and Ohio. Bush: "I wish I wasn't talking about war. No president ever says, 'Gosh, I hope there's war.' For those of you who are young here, I want you to know what I'm leading to is how to keep the peace and do my job that you expect me to do, which is to prevent the enemy from attacking again." [NYT, WT]
* Bob Dole's involvement in port deal creates conflict for Sen. Elizabeth Dole (R-N.C.). [WP]
* Vice president of the Service Employees International Union supports Bush's guest worker plan. [NYT]