Daily Briefing: Off the Cliff?
* Bush: "As more capable Iraqi police and soldiers come on line, they will assume responsibility for more territory with the goal of having the Iraqis control more territory than the coalition by the end of 2006." [WP, NYT]
* Iraq will define Bush's legacy; his approval rating in Gallup poll slips to 36%. Mark McKinnon: "The war is really driving almost everything in government." [USAT]
* Republican lawmakers seek to boost spending despite misgivings from party bosses. [WP]
* Bush's optimistic message on Iraq fails to resonate. [WP]
* Rep. Katherine Harris is expected to drop her Senate candidacy. [NYT]