Daily Briefing: "There Have Been Mistakes Made"
- More than 70 people died yesterday in the current multi-front middle east conflict. A small number of US Marines are aiding the evacuation in Beirut. [NYT]
- Unsurprisingly, the US government's full-fledged support of Israel in this conflict is not going over swimmingly with allies. [WP
- Republicans running for things have a two-stage message for dodging Iraq questions: Acknowledge that mistakes were made, ask if we should fight or flee. [WP]
- Corruption is hurting both parties this year. [WP]
- President Bush stopped talking about poverty after Hurricane Katrina's worst was over. [WP]
- Bush will meet with the NAACP today for the first time. [AP]
- Joe Lieberman is in a "stastistical dead heat" with challenger Ned Lamont. [AP]