Geronimo's Great Grandson Demands Skull Back From Bushes
How can you, the news consumer, know for sure that the apocalypse has begun? Experts say it's when ABC News goes with a headline like "Did Bush's Grandfather Steal Geronimo's Skull?"
Learn exciting facts about Our Nation's History and the ritual abuse of Native American body parts, after the jump.
* The famed Apache warrior Geronimo fought the Mexican and U.S. armies for more than 30 years, but he was eventually captured and imprisoned by Washington until his death in 1909 at the Army's Fort Sill prison camp in Oklahoma, where he was buried in the Prisoner of War cemetery.
* A young Prescott Bush -- who would later become a Nazi financier and beloved senator -- was sent to Fort Sill in 1918 with his Yale ROTC buddies. They were members of the Yale secret society then known as the Brotherhood of Death and later known as The Order of the Skull and Bones.
* While at Fort Sill, Bush and two buddies admittedly dug up the Apache's grave. A 1918 letter from a fellow bonesman was discovered by a Yale historian last year, and reads in part: "The skull of the worthy Geronimo the Terrible, exhumed from its tomb at Fort Sill by your club ... is now safe inside the (Tomb) together with his well worn femurs, bit & saddle horn."
* Other members of Skull and Bones include "both presidents Bush, President William Howard Taft, Sen. John Kerry, William F. Buckley, Time magazine founder Henry Luce, financier William H. Donaldson, and numerous CIA agents."
* Twenty years ago, Native American activist Ned Anderson tried to get Geronimo's skull back from Skull and Bones -- with the help of John McCain and Morris Udall, who apparently arranged a meeting at the Yale tomb with Bush 41's brother Jonathan Bush.
* "According to Ned, they brought out a skull but it was obviously a skull of a ten-year-old and they were trying to bluff him and tried to get him to sign papers saying that he would never speak about it again."
* Geronimo's great-grandson Harlyn Geronimo has written to the White House demanding the return of his ancestor's bones and is threatening to sue Skull and Bones.