cabinet chris christie confirmation hearings Corey Lewandowski golden globes greg abbot gun humpers hacking hillary clinton james mattis K Street lobbying mayor meryl streep new york city pt News Brief russia taiwan ted cruz texas Trump appointees tsai ing-wen veterans affairs
Hollywood Pees On Donald Trump's Golden Rug. Wonkagenda for Monday, January 9, 2016
Good Monday morning to you, wonkers! Here's some of the things we may be talking about today!
- Senators are screaming bloody murder ahead of this week's cabinet confirmation hearings because background checks on Trump's appointees won't be completed.
- Former Trump aides are swarming into the swamp Donald Trump promised to drain now that the floodgates have been opened almost as wide as the checkbooks on K street.
- Trump is having a real problem finding a Secretary of Veterans Affairs because all his rich white friends don't want to take a low-paying, thankless job heading a troubled government agency. They're good at getting rich, not fixing stuff, for heaven's sake.
- There are major concerns about the bureaucracy embedded in U.S. security, according to a new report on the logistics of those kinds of things. And just in time too; Trump's Pentagon pick, James Mattis, just disclosed his defense industry holdings, so you too can be a savvy war profiteer!
- Surprise! Many Trumpkins don't think Russia's data theft is a big deal, while others think that, as long as that brown-skinned, freedom killing secret Muslim terrorist is taken out (of office) everything will be A-OK!
- Chris Christie has driven New Jersey into a ditch, but he's still giving motivational speeches at senior centers while he's under investigation for political corruption.
- Closet gun-fetishists can't wait to come out of the closet now that Trumpkin lobbyists and Congress critters are scuttling about Washington.
- The rumor mill is buzzing and pushing Hillary Clinton to run for mayor of New York if only because wouldn't that just screw with Donald Trump's head the best?
- Ted Cruz and Greg Abbot met with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen, which is funny since Texas, like Taiwan, technically isn't recognized as an independent country.
- Places in Not America are eagerly awaiting Trump to deport skilled college graduates now that tech companies are looking to expand overseas, and work visas are on the chopping block.
- Meryl Streep criticized Donald Trump while accepting some fancy award, and asked people to support the Committee to Protect Journalists. Donald Trump later bitched about all the "liberal movie people" who won't go the inauguration. SAD!
- And now, your morning Nice Time, klipspringers and doggos have super fun play times! Hurray!