bob jones university bruce rauner carly fiorina charles cooper Chris Kennedy cyber security Daylin Leach epa Hal Martin hillary clinton iran jeff sessions Mike Flyn muslim ban neil gorsuch north carolina nsa pt News Brief Republican Guard Roy Cooper sean spicer trump whistle blowers
Jeff Sessions Will White Wash America. Wonkagenda For Thurs., Feb. 9, 2017
- Jeff Sessions is your new Attorney General, and Wes Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin was (unsurprisingly) the only non-GOP member to vote "yes." That includes S.C. Republican Sen. Tim Scott, who read his hate mail. This just sucks.
- Neil Gorsuch thinks Trump's bitchy tweets about federal judges are "demoralizing" and disheartening," a ballsy statement that Trump misinterpreted this morning when he decided to imply that a Senator was a Vietnam draft-dodger. Well, it takes one to know one.
- America's new
racistcolor coordinating Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, will probably pick his good ol' boy Charles Cooper for Solicitor General. A former Reaganite, Cooper once defended Bob Jones University's policies banning inter-racial dating. [Morning Maddow!]
- Sean Spicer pulled a Bowling Green Massacre while counting off lone-wolf terrorist attacks when he thought that the Pulse nightclub attack that killed 49 people happened in Atlanta, over 400 miles away.
- Trump called National Security Advisor Mike Flynn at 3:00 a.m. because he had an economic question, prompting Flynn to suggest he pose the question to an economic advisor, and this is scaring the hell out of White House staffers.
- The EPA will temporarily stop protecting federal nuclear contractors who blow whistles to regulators for uncovering waste, fraud and dangerous conditions because it's, like, a lot of work, and rules are for nerds and losers!
- According to recent polls, people either love or hate the
Muslim bantravel restrictions on ethnic and religious minorities, depending on who you ask and how you ask it.
- A former NSA contractor has been charged with 20 counts of willful retention of national defense information because he ALLEGEDLY stole oodles of U.S. cyber security data, tools, and strategies.
- A Pennsylvania state senator called Trump a "fascist, loofa-faced, shit-gibbon," after hearing about Trump's grumps over civil asset forfeiture. You get a gold star, buddy!
- Carly Fiorina will challenge Tim Kaine for his Virginia Senate seat because she is a carpetbagging glutton for public humiliation.
- Camelot heir Chris Kennedy will challenge Illinois Republican Governor Bruce Rauner, a dismal failure who hasn't been able to pass a budget in almost a year, and holds civil services as hostages.
- A court in North Carolina said that Republicans can't just yank away executive power whenever they get their undies in a twist about their new governor being a Democrat. YEY!
- Defense intelligence officials are raising red flags to an order trying to designate Iran's Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization because they're more like an army, navy, air force, spec-ops, treasury department, police force, and business empire that supports a religious autocratic regime than a rag-tag group of freedom fighters that give everyone the stink eye.
- Hillary Clinton recorded a message for the 2017 Maker's Conference encouraging ladies to trek boldly where no man has gone before!
- Here's some Late Night wrap up! Seth Meyers broke down how Democrats are dealing with Trump, while Sam Bee reminded us about Trump's loathing of windmills and gave CNN a pat on the back and a hearty handshake. Meanwhile, Colbert was getting all snugly with Jake Tapper, and the Daily Show had some talky time with Elizabeth Warren.
- And, here's your morning Nice Time, FISHING KITTIES!