The Chaste is On
This week, Dawn Eden, Patrick Fitzgerald, Bill Emmott, John Bolton, John Boehner, and John Ashcroft were all spotted being various degrees of famous at various places by our spies and operatives. Voyeuristic fun, as always, is after the jump.
See someone we've heard of somewhere in or near the district? Tell us about it in an email, with the subject line "Wonk'd" or "Sighting."
* I'm not sure if she qualifies for a mention here but I know they love her over at Gawker -- Dawn Eden, everyone's favorite bornagain virgin and fired NY Post writer, having recently moved from NY to DC to become the director of the "Love and Responsibility Program" at the Cardinal Newman Society (this info courtesy of her blog) (I guess the book sales from "The Thrill of the Chaste" started to peter out and who else but the Catholics will pay you NOT to have sex?). Anyway I saw her looking short and somewhat dumpy on K street between 15th and 16th, ostensibly about to cross the street to go to that huge scary Catholic "bookstore" I've never seen anyone go into. She needs some new highlights. Welcome to DC Dawn; it's way harder to find a good hairstylist than a virgin round these parts.
* Spotted Patrick Fitzgerald leaving the Cardinals/Giants game in St. Louis on Saturday, July 7. Walked in a group with him for several blocks on the way to our hotel. He was dressed in a madras short sleeved shirt and khakis, spoke in his distinctive cadence, and was accompanied by a couple with a baby (possibly relatives). I wanted to speak, but what could one say, post commutation? "Congratulations...oops - sorry about that..." I decided to keep my mouth shut and leave the poor man alone.
* Saw former Economist editor BIll Emmott heading up 19th street near Penn Ave (as if he were coming from the IMF and World Bank buildings) on Friday afternoon (the 13th). When I took a second glance, he seemed to realize I recognized him, and scurried up the street at a slightly quicker pace. Think it's weird I recognized the guy? Google his picture and you'll see what I mean.
* Just saw John Bolton on the Orange Line at Metro Station. I suppose it could have been a look-a-like, but the bushy moustache seems pretty hard to imitate. I hear it's so big because it's full of secrets!
* Minority Leader John Boehner dined at Wilmington's Conley Ward Steakhouse Sunday night ( http://www.conleywards.com). Situated on the banks of the Christina Riverfront, this restaurant lies in the shadow of some of Wilmington's most prominent banks. Boehner's party sat on the patio drinking red wine; Boehner chain smoked. He was accompanied by five young professionals, probably staff. They got a really yummy looking tower of onion rings that looked a little bit like this
* Former U.S. Attorney General John "Let the Eagle Soar" Ashcroft ( was spotted having breakfast at the Hay-Adams Hotel on Wednesday morning. He seemed to enjoy his meal and his hushed conversation with companions.