b street band Betsy Devos bible Cancer Moon Shot china davos HB 1203 inauguration ivanka Ivanka Majic jim fouts joe biden Keith Kempenich marco rubio north dakota Obama OCE office of congressional ethics pt News Brief Ryan Zenke Theresa May trade war Wall Street Journal Donald Trump Wilbur Ross world economic forum Xi Jinping
Trump's Cabinet: ROUND 2! Wonkagenda for Tues., Jan. 17, 2017
Oh, hi there, Wonketariat! We've been waiting for you ALL morning! Confirmation hearings continue today, so we hope you like C-SPAN! Here's some of the things we may be talking about today!
- Ex-Spec OPs military douchebag and Captain Planet villain Montana Rep. Ryan Zinke will face the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee for his nomination as Interior secretary today. He's not a dendrophiliac, he just likes fucking the planet.
- The filthy rich, old, white lady who wants to obliterate the public school system, Betsy DeVos, will have her hearing for Education secretary in front of the Senate's Health, Education Labor and Pensions Committee later today. BOOOOOO!
- Wilbur Ross will face the Senate Committee on Commerce Science and Transportation tomorrow for his nomination as Commerce secretary, but today he's dodging the press who want to know why Ross sent thousands of jobs overseas after getting a government bailout.
- Trump says he ISN'T micromanaging businesses in the U.S., which has confused the shit out of the Wall Street Journal. Dolla' dolla' bill ya'll! [Archive]
- Congress Critters are vowing to try and kill the Office of Congressional Ethics because they're just so gosh darn mad of being smeared and investigated for corruption (again).
- When the hell did Little Marco Rubio grow a spine? Last week he nailed Rex Tillerson's balls to a Russian oil rig, and this weekend Rubio gave a talky-thing supporting John Lewis over Trump, but will he get cottonmouth and buckle under the pressure (again)?
- A bill introduced by the North Dakota GOP wants to make it legal to accidentally run over protesters because it's "shifting the burden of proof from the motor vehicle driver to the pedestrian."
- The mayor of Warren, Michigan, was caught on tape trying to re-reclaim "cunt," dropping some N-bombs, and talking about how he hates banging old ladies. You stay classy, suburbia.
- U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May has promised to pull out of the E.U. like a football player on prom night, and is asking people in the U.K. to embrace the Brexit without any protection (or lube).
- As the rest of the world goes completely apeshit, Chinese President Xi Jinping spoke at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he (CHINA!) asked that the world again embrace global trade, and stated that a trade war would be really, really bad and very irrational. The joke here is that fucking China is asking for a sane foreign policy.
- According to a new poll that's hot off the press, Donald Trump will enter the presidency as one of least popular presidents in history. Totally biased! Fake news!
- You might be paying $200 million to foot the cost for Trump's inauguration, but don't worry, it's supposed to be a low-key "soft, and sensual" affair, full of lots protesters and devoid of lots of Democrats. [Morning Maddow 'Splainer!]
- After Donald Trump announced that he'd take his oath on his family Bible, Yr Wonket wonders what exactly Trump's family Bible actually looks like. Is it a coloring book? Is it illustrated? What would Hillz have used, a Jane Addams Settlement House bible? (Yes, she would have: suffragette AND Illinois.)
- Let this one sink in for a second: Donald Trump doesn't know his daughter's Twitter handle, and the nice lady who he thinks is his daughter told him to bugger off with marvelous backhanded compliment.
- The Springsteen cover band set to perform the inauguration was apparently Born to Run because it's taking a Pink Cadillac and Racing in the Street away from Trump in order to show respect for The Boss.
- Old Handsome Joe Biden almost sold his house to pay for his late son's cancer treatment until Bamz was all, "Nah, fam, I got this."
- OK! Here's your morning nice time, kittens! You've earned it!