Wonk'd: Was June 10 a Celebrity Convention Or Something? They Weren't All Here for Reagan. . .
Sightings of George Stephanopoulos, straight-edge punk rockers, sex blog authors, and other famous-for-D.C. types are sent in by readers. Send yours to . In this issue: O'Donnell, Cheney, Wilson, Rivers, MacKaye, Stephanopoulos (x2), Couric, Glover, Hutchison, the Grateful Dead, Quayles, Bacon, Brokaw, Cutler, Crow, Armstrong, Nouri.
• NBC's Norah O'Donnell and her husband "Chef" Geoff whoever at Two Amy's pizza in Clevelend Park the other night. They managed to piss off a huge amount of people by obnoxiously cutting the long line. Plus, they were dressed ridiculously, Norah in these teeny-bopper white pants and pink shirt, and her husband in clashing striped colors. He looked like the end-of-season clearance rack at Ralph Lauren.
• I saw Lynne Cheney (without dear ol' Dick!) at St. Peter's Church at 2nd and C Streets, SE, on Sunday, 6/6. She was there for the 4:00 PM concert of the amazing Capitol Hill Chorale, which was performing with the Washington Saxophone Quartet. The Quartet is responsible for the famous "All Things Considered" theme song.
• Passed right by Owen Wilson today (June 7th) in the afternoon walking on M St. in Georgetown between Thomas Jefferson and 31st. He was smiling, I think in response to something a homeless man had just said to him. I looked back and he was standing in front of a building beside the Christiane Salon. When I looked back again he was gone. There are perks to working in Georgetown ....
• Joan Rivers, evacuating the Capitol due to the threat of an unidentified plane [6/9], walking north on 1st St NE, saying, "What a day to try and look good."
• My guitar hero, Ian Mackaye (of Minor Threat/Fugazi/and lately the Evens) spotted walking up Wilson Blvd in Arlington Tuesday lunch [6/8] near Baja Fresh wearing cargo shorts, dark t-shirt, hat, and sunglasses - he covered his eyes with those when he caught me staring at him. I was going to say something like, "I love you, man" but I didn't want to freak him out cause I was looking very young Republican in dockers and a polo button down. Damn my clothing choice.
• I wouldn't have thought that he'd catch my eye, but I couldn't help but stare when I saw George Stephanopoulos this morning as I was walking to work. It wasn't so much seeing him as it was noticing the little hand-weights he was carrying as he walked at a brisk pace...and the look of strain on his face as if the 2 and a half pounders were about all he could handle. I had him pegged as the gym type. Who knew.
• not a super juicy tip, but nonetheless, Katie Couric is currently [6/10] sunbathing at the outdoor deck at The Sports Club/LA in DC at 22nd and M. in a one piece. not there to work out, just to sun bathe. thought i'd share!
• 6/10/04: 10:10am - P and 21st.: Danny Glover walking out of starbucks carrying a coffee and pastry
• Sitting outside a Starbucks at 13th and Penn. at 2 p.m. today [6/10], Asa Hutchison, Homeland Security's undersecretary for border and transportation security. All by himself, no security detail anywhere to be seen, drinking coffee, relaxed and chatting cheerfully on his cell phone. We assume this is a sign the homeland is indeed secure.
• The Grateful Dead is eating at the Old Ebbitt Grill right now [6/10] -- at a big table near the Oyster Bar.
• Last night [6/10] at Olives restaurant, 16th & K around 7: Dan and Marilyn Quayle. He was smiling, friendly, shook some hands. She stared ahead icily, heading straight downstairs to their table. She looked uncharacteristically chic, sporting a burgundy chantung evening pantsuit and mules. A contemporary chin-length haircut has replaced the retro Mary Richards flip.
• Kevin Bacon having dinner at RT's Arlandria last night [6/10] around 9.
• Tom Brokaw at Burberry on Connecticut [6/11] shopping for a new shirt tie combo during their big summer sale. Had a very plain blue shirt that he was trying to match a tie to from the sale table and looked at the price of every tie he picked up. Ended up not buying a tie, just the shirt. His hair looks better in person.
• Friday (June 11th) mid-afternoon I heard, and then saw, Jessica Cutler outside Capitol Hill’s Trover Bookstore on Pennsylvania Avenue. As I was getting out of my parked car, minding my own business, I couldn’t help but hear a loud projecting youngish female voice about 20 yards away walking my direction towards the Capitol. At first I wondered “why is this woman practically yelling into the phone?”. I then looked over to see who it could possibly be, recognized her as Washingtonienne. . . You couldn’t help but overhear her say into a cell phone -- “and I told the reporter ‘I don’t know why you think this is a story anymore, but he said he was going to………’” – as she walked on by, oblivious that others could easily overhear her conversation. Jessica passed by wearing a tan rain coat and I didn’t hear any more of her side of the conversation after she had walked past.
• Spotted Tuesday [6/15] night at the opening of the Silver Docs festival in Silver Spring was Lance Armstrong, Sheryl Crow and Michael Nouri. By the way, the Movie (Seeds) was great.
• Does a GS [George Stephanopoulos] sighting even count anymore? [Well. . . ] Spotted looking all gym-y (St. Barth's T and shorts) and unshaven, paper under one arm, checking Blueberry w/ the other, at 9 a.m. today [6/18] on Wisconsin Ave in Glover Park. Dude at bus stop: "Shouldn't he be working or something?"