All Praise Mother Earth!
Thursday is Earth Day, a day when we thank the earth for being so great and earthy and celebrate by rubbing clean coal all over ourselves. You're supposed to wear green and drink green beer too, but with the lights off of course. This is the one day in America when the earth actually matters. So, how much does DC love it?
A lot, apparently. Look at all these great things you can do to show your appreciation for the planet, marijuana and Lenin's birth, all of which have to do with this important day:
Thursday, April 22:
- Help Build DC’s Green Economy: You can be a hero this Earth Day by donating $22 to Weatherize D.C. By doing so you will not only help weatherize the homes of four needy families in DC, but also help reduce unemployment, just like the government does! The fundraiser is at Local 16 and starts at 7PM. [Help Build DC's Green Economy]
- Earth Day, Landscape and Local Food: Georiga O'Kefee painted vaginas, and as such loved the earth. Her work is currently on display at the Phillips Collection, and they are hosting local wineries and restaurateurs to talk about her commitment to the planet and how eating organic food will make the world a better place. $13. [Phillips Collection]
- Busboys and Poets: Busboys is celebrating the 40th anniversary of Earth Day on Thursday by serving special eco-cocktails at all three of their locations from 5PM-Closing. [Busboys and Poets]
- Earth Day Celebration Backyard Bash: How earth-friendly is a 400-pound pig? Turns out very, as it's what Poste is serving at their Earth Day celebration event. From 5:30-8PM on Thursday, for $15 you get a taste of a roasted pig from Eco Friendly Foods, as well as a glass of their garden punch, which we believe is an eco-friendly alcoholic beverage. [Poste]
- No Impact Man: This film about a man who becomes a crazy environmentalist and who in doing so drives his family crazy is being screen on Thursday at the AED Theater. Tickets are $16 and include access to a reception both before and after the screening. [Washington Film Institute]
- Mixt Greens: This gourmet salad shop is offering free goodies on Thursday to offset the high cost of their salads. The first 150 customers who visit any of their three DC locations on Earth Day will receive a complimentary Mixt Greens tote bag filled with recipes, Mixt Salads, and packets of herb seeds to plant at home should you have a garden. [Mixt Greens]
Saturday April 24
- Rock Out: First Annual Sweetlife Festival: Sweetlife and Rock the Vote are hosting an outdoor music festival in support of the earth, green jobs, local musicians, farmers, healthy salads and frozen yogurt. Tickets are sold out, but check their website for chances to win. 3-9PM. [Sweetlife Festival]
Sunday, April 25:
- The Climate Rally: Earth lover James Cameron as well as such musical acts as John Legend, Sting, the Roots and Phoenix will be on the Mall on Sunday from 11AM-7PM to profess their love to the planet. This will be like the Obama concert, only the earth is not black, so it won't be nearly as meaningful. Free. [The Climate Rally]