Daily Briefing: 'Just Trying to Avoid Trouble'
• Bush implies he will use executive privilege to withhold Miers documents. [NYT]
• Bork: "I think [Bush] is just trying to avoid trouble -- but the message comes through: Do not be controversial, do not express strong opinions that arouse opposition." [LAT]
• Katrina, Rita failures highlight consequences of weak executive branch oversight. [WP]
• Miers' workaholic nature fit into White House culture. [LAT]
• Miers seems moderately supportive of gay rights. [WT]
• Bush admits "diminished appetite in the short term" for his Social Security plans. [LAT]
• Clinton acts in command during visit to Louisiana. [NYT]