AIDS bill gates cease fire diplomacy FIDEL CASTRO hezbollah israel toothpaste bombs track suits un united nations
Daily Briefing: Peace In Our Time?
- A U.N.-brokered Israel-Hezbollah cease-fire went into effect this morning, yet few believe that the cessation of hostilities will last. [NYT, WP]
- It was Hezbollah's resillience that spurred the U.S. into diplomatic action. [NYT]
- The terror threat levels in Britain and the United States have been lowered and security precautions at airports are relaxing somewhat after a weekend free from toothpaste bombs. [NYT]
- Many incumbent Republican congressmen from Northeastern districts are distancing themselves from the administration in their reelection campaigns. [WP]
- Fidel Castro lives! And wears a track suit![LAT]
- Bill Gates thinks that pharmaceutical advances are necessary in order to best fight AIDS -- but he can't fund all the research.[CNN via Reuters]