2006 2008 bob ney david safavian Democrats george w. bush harry reid hillary clinton memorial day nancy pelosi republicans war on terrorism
Daily Briefing: The 'Good Bad Guys'
- Bush marks Memorial Day with vow to finish the wars to honor those who lost their lives: "I am in awe of the men and women who sacrifice for the freedom of the United States of America." [NYT, WT]
- "Missing pieces" about Sen. Hillary Clinton: "What does she stand for? And where would she try to take the country if elected?" She says her philosophy "doesn't perhaps fit in a preexisting box, but many of the problems we face as a nation don't either." [WP]
- Sen. Reid (D-Nev.) accepted free ringside boxing tickets from the Nevada Athletic Commission "as he was pressing legislation to increase government oversight of the sport." Reid: "I'm not Goodie Two Shoes. I just feel these events are nothing I did wrong." [WP]
- Both sides motivated by prospects for "Speaker Pelosi." Republican strategist: "She ought to be a big component of the fall campaign. There are some Democrats who make really good bad guys." [NYT]
- Trial of David Safavian will increase attention on Rep. Bob Ney (R-Ohio) because of the testimony of his former chief of staff. [NYT]
- Security concerns linger for electronic voting machines. [WP]