Drink The Winter Away
It's ridiculously cold outside, the days are way too short, and everyone's favorite celebration of baby Jesus -- and the time off that came with it -- is long gone. Who needs a drink?
The best happy hours in the city:
- Oysters: The winter oyster happy hour is back at Hank's Oyster Bar. Monday through Friday, from 5:30PM-6:30PM, select oysters are only $1 and draft Brooklyn Pilsner is only $4.
- Dives:Recessions is the best dive happy hour in the city, as evidenced by their admission that at Recessions you 'Get too much for your money.' Their happy hour is Monday- Friday from 5PM- 8PM and includes $4 28 oz. drafts.
- Burgers: Chef Geoff's giant, mouthwatering hamburgers are the best part of their happy hour. The burgers are only $6, and the happy hour lasts until close on Monday and Tuesdays, and lasts all day on Saturdays and Sundays. Ventnor Sports Cafe offers 1/2 price hamburgers and $12 pitchers Tuesday nights until 8:30PM.
- Pizza: Enjoy small pizzas for $4.25, $3.50 draft beers and $3 select bottled beers Monday- Friday from 4pm-6:30pm at the Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont Circle. Ella's Wood Fired Pizza is another good pizza option: Monday-Friday, from 4PM-7PM, they sell 7" pizzas for just $5.
- Grown up Happy Hours: Zaytinya offers beer and a sangria-like cocktails for $4 and $4 "mezzes" that, according to an insider, are really just small plates for their happy hour. It goes from 4:30PM-6:30PM Sunday- Friday and is at the bar only. Or, if you're in the mood for a super posh happy hour, PS 7's offers specialty cocktails, gourmet burgers, and delicious flat breads for their happy hour, though nothing is particularly cheap.
- Sushi: Super trendy Oya offers some of the best and freshest sushi in the city. Almost all rolls are half-off during their happy hour, which is weekdays from 5PM-8PM. House wines are just $5 and certain martinis are only $7. There's also the super popular sushi spot, Cafe Asia where Monday- Saturday, from 4:30PM-7:30, Nigiri sushi is only $1.25 per piece and some draft beers are only $2.50. Just get there early if you actually want to indulge in anything.
- Free apps: Cheap margaritas, a blind piano player and FREE appetizers make Banana Cafe one of the best happy hour spots in the city.