Free as a Bird
This week, Joe and Hadassah Lieberman, Henry Rollins, Ian Svenonius, Paul Begala, Harriet Miers, Ralph Nader, Conrad Burns and Scooter Libby were all spotted being various degrees of famous at various places by our spies and operatives. Voyeuristic fun, as always, is after the jump.
See someone we've heard of somewhere in or near the district? Tell us about it
* Yesterday [7/2 at around 5:30] I spotted Joe and Hadassah Lieberman at the Foggy Bottom Trader Joe's. The Missus was already at one of the cash registers and the Senator was agonizing over whether to go with the Bavarian Hefeweizen or the Vienna Lager. The 'weizen was the winner. Both looked great and were very lovey with each other. Shopper Joe exchanged some pleasantries with a few Joe shoppers.
* Henry Rollins at the Evens Ft. Reno show. Looking decidedly less muscle bound than in past years, and sort of old. Also, Ian Sevonius looking like a Neil Gaiman character.
* This afternoon I saw Paul Begala having lunch outside at the over-priced, over-rated Peacock Café in Georgetown. He presumably was turned away from Café Milano, as he was wearing a button down and blue jeans, and was with a slovenly friend in black t-shirt and black pants. I was staring at his forehead as I approached, trying to decide just how obnoxious I should be, when he glared at me -- so I kept my snark to myself as I walked past. If he didn't want to tempt people to make asses of themselves, the partisan hack should have gotten a table indoors.
* I saw former White House Counsel Harriet Miers at Elephant and Castle (12th and Penn.) at lunch on July 4th. She was having lunch with TX Supreme Court Justice Nathan Hecht and was deeply engrossed in conversation. She was unnoticed and ate quickly and left before I could say anything.
* Ralph Nader, last Saturday, walking in his typical crumudgeonly way along Dupont Circle in front of Books-a-Million. The temperature had to have been near 100-degrees, but Ralph was attired in a jacket, plaid shirt, and Dockers from, I'm estimating, the 1980s. He wasn't sweating. In light of this, I thought about mentioning to him that the world's gone to hell since 2000 and thanks for nothing, but that, like the man himself, seemed passe.
* Scooter Libby, walking out in the open just like a free man, corner of 12th & E. Resisted urge to perform citizens arrest.
* Since I know he's a fan favorite... Saw Conrad Burns at an event in the Rayburn Building on 7/12. Things I learned observing and listening to him: 1) Fell off a horse during Fourth of July vacation and hurt his leg 2) It took him 45 minutes to hang a picture in his home 3) Likes to talk to/gawk at young female interns 4) Has no qualms about picking his teeth with a toothpick in a room full of people 5) STILL CRAZY!