Is Meghan McCain Cool, Or Just a Brat?
The April issue of GQ features a delightful profile of Meghan McCain, the 23-year-old daughter of WALNUTS! and famous Blogette. Somehow she procured full access to the McCain campaign, and has done a dutiful job reporting on the minutiae of life on the trail -- namely, her favorite songs, what shoes she and her Blogette friends wear to town halls, and which McCain advisers are hot. The lady does not filter, she's a liberal like her father, and she alternatively makes you hate and love your life.
Here are some juicier bits from this profile. Whaddaya think -- does this reporter have the hots for the blond scion of WALNUTS!?
- "Mitt didn't keep it real," Meghan says, munching on a nacho chip.
- Some have suggested that John McCain consider Huckabee as a potential running mate, to placate the Bible Belt. "That's not going to happen," Meghan says firmly. "I don't think they'd be a good match for a lot of reasons and am not even sure if that's what Huckabee's going for, anyway. I think he wants to be the head of the evangelical movement."
- [This is obviously the best part - Ed.] Meghan confesses that her real love life hasn't been especially active lately. She's gone on only one official date since her dad's campaign began, but she bowed out early with a "headache." Then there was also the rumor that she'd been seen with--horrors--a Ron Paul supporter.
"That has been blown out of proportion in every way!" she exclaims. "What happened is that I dropped my coffee and he helped me with it and was like, 'Do you want to go to Baja Fresh?'... Not that I would be against dating a Ron Paul supporter, but he turned out to be very strange. He collected Barbie dolls. I called my girlfriends after and was like, 'That's weird, right?' "
- Besides, it's not like Meghan has ever toed the Republican Party line. It's well- known that four years ago, when her father decided it'd be in his best interest to back George W. Bush's reelection, she voted for John Kerry. "My dad actually outed me," she says.
- "My dad was tortured in prison; he doesn't overreact to things. So if he starts freaking out, you know it's time to freak out," she says. "And I think he's freaking out about the environment. He's like, 'I'm genuinely worried about climate change; it's happening right now.' "
- John wasn't the original McCain hellion, though. Meghan mentions her grandmother, 96-year-old Roberta McCain, who occasionally joins her son on the trail. Meghan calls her grandmother "crazy in a good way."
- There's surely a side to her father that Meghan McCain would love to show us but can't, because, well, you know. She hints at her parents' interior lives only slightly and only when talking about her mother, Cindy, who often looks stoic and reserved on TV. "People ask me if my mom's hot," Meghan says. "That's my mom! But what people don't know is that she's actually hilarious. She really liked Knocked Up and Wedding Crashers."
McCain also has one son fighting in the Middle East, another in the Naval Academy, and a Bangladeshi daughter who was called a black bastard child and ruined the 2000 McCain campaign. Surely they love hanging out with Meghan, the shoe blogger.
Raising McCain [GQ]