This week, Carl Levin, Elizabeth Kucinich, Ted Koppel, Russ Feingold, George Tenet, Sam Brownback, and Dennis Kucinich were all spotted being various degrees of famous at various places by our spies and operatives. Voyeuristic fun, as always, is after the jump.
See someone we've heard of somewhere in or near the district? Tell us about it in an email, with the subject line "Wonk'd" or "Sighting."
* Saw Carl Levin on Friday [6/22] driving his beat ass gold Saturn with "Carl Levin" bumper stickers on the block of G St. SE. that John Boehner lives on. He was pouring a can of diet coke out the window and onto the street while driving.
* Elizabeth Kucinich was prominently placed in the PrideFest parade in St. Louis, MO. She was riding in a decidedly non carbon neutral black Mustang convertable.
* Ted Koppel was at Cantina Marina this weekend. You can't tell from the picture but the place was crawling with 20 year old interns. His head is even bigger in person, if you can possibly imagine that.
* Was on a flight back to DC from Madison, WI on Monday afternoon with Senator Russ Feingold. He was completely unassuming with a sport coat and jeans and was virtually unnoticed by everyone in the airport - seemed like any other business traveler. When we were walking on the jetway to get onto the plane I said "Hello Senator" he replied with a brief and stiff "Hello Sir" and a nod of the head, which was either a polite but short acknowledgement or an "I'm too important to talk to you". Given that the Supreme Court had gutted McCain-Feingold earlier that same day, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and am leaning towards the former.
* George Tenet at the Borders in Friendship Heights. Nobody recognized him as he was in a white polo shirt, blue shorts and flip-flops. Staff only realized who he was when he said something along the lines of "Oh, that's where my book is now." Bought one hardcover and left after chatting with one of the managers.
* Just saw Sen. Brownback in the Dirksen cafeteria talking to one of the Hispanic cashiers in Spanish. "hay mucho trabajo....en Iowa...(then proceded to think of other states). His tie was just hanging around his neck untied. There were some young Republican zombies in line behind him pretty star struck. Never mind that he switched his vote against the immigration bill at the last second yesterday.
* Was walking back from the Penn and 2nd hot dog stand when I saw our (future) first elfin president, Dennis Kucinich, leaving the Capitol Suites. He was being picked up by a woman in a couple-years-old Volvo who must have been a staffer because she was not nearly as hot as his wife. There was an awkward moment as they idled at the stop sign at the intersection, waiting for me to cross the street as I stood there waiting for them to go. I finally took the initiative. Kucinich sat in the front passenger seat.