Discover more from Wonkette
What Bush Wants You to Do
Feeling somewhat guilty about our mangled transcript of Bush's Wisconsin speech on Tuesday, we decided to go over it more thoroughly. And, well, it's true: He never said, "I will state the obvious and wait for applause. Watch this." But he did say some crazy shit: "[S]ee, I think that happens to be the strength of the country, the fact that there are fellow citizens who love a neighbor just like they'd like to be loved themselves."
Kinky, no? And in case people didn't get the point, he says it again: "My call to our fellow citizens is to love your neighbor like you'd like to be loved yourself." And again: "And in this new responsibility society, each of us are responsible for loving our neighbor just like we'd like to be loved ourselves." So that's what they're calling it these days. Do you think Laura's suspicious? Because Bush really, really, really loves his neighbors:
• Remarks by the President to the NCAA Sports Champions: "And you have a responsibility as a champ to make the right choices. . . And we all have a responsibility to love a neighbor like we'd like to be loved ourself." [WhiteHouse.gov ]
• President Rallies First Responders in Georgia: "We're a nation who will show the world our true face. By not only putting a military in place that's well paid, well trained, well equipped, but also by loving a neighbor like we'd like to be loved ourself." (Hey, who doesn't like a man in uniform!) [WhiteHouse.gov ]
• President Says U.S. Must Make Commitment to Mental Health Care: "It's kind of off the subject, but really not off the subject, because one of the things I try to do when I go into communities is herald soldiers in the armies of compassion, those souls who have heard the call to love a neighbor like you'd like to be loved yourself." [WhiteHouse.gov ]
• Remarks by the President at Cuban Independence Day Event: "The reason I bring up Emilio is I say oftentimes to Americans who want to -- how best they can participate in our country, how best to fight evil is to do some good; is to love a neighbor like you'd like to be loved yourself." [WhiteHouse.gov ]
• Remarks by the President on Teaching American History and Civic Education: "And one of the things our youngsters and those of us not quite so young can do -- and this is important -- is to celebrate patriotism by loving your neighbor like you'd like to be loved yourself." (I think is what Michael Jackson was saying the other day, too.) [WhiteHouse.gov ]
At least message appears to be getting across:
• Remarks by the President at Reception for "Keep Our Majority" PAC: "We're tough on the battlefield; we're really tough. But also at home, neighbors love neighbors more than ever before." [WhiteHouse.gov ]
Yeah, I think we get that cable channel, too. Or wasn't the Federal No Ass-Fucking Amendment put a stop to that?
Huh? What? He's making aBiblicalreference? Well, that would be wrong.
Bush campaign calls Kerry's Biblical criticism 'exploitation of Scripture' [AP/San Diego Union Tribune]
Yesterday's Bush Speech in Wisconsin [Wonkette]