13:00 -- Hotline has the following details: Cap police have started their search, are entering offices with guns drawn. Scary, but totally AWESOME! Also -- the person on the gurney in the ambulance? Not actually injured. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!
MSNBC reports that Rep. Jim Saxton (R-NJ) is one of the people who heard the shots ("one of"?).
More fun speculation: gunman in gym = plainclothes cop?
12:30 -- Dana Bash: Two women came out of the gym very excitedly claiming that there was a man with a gun in there. African-american woman wheeled out on gurney, put in ambulance. "Conflicting reports."
The Cap police just sent out a hilarious bulletin, we've put it after the jump. Highlight: "During the search, the police officers will knock 3 times on each office door, announce 'United States Capitol Police', knock 3 additional times, and then voice the code word 'BASEBALL'."
Twice on the pipe, of course, means IT'S THE GUNMAN.
Rest of the coverage, after the jump.
The Capitol Police continue to investigate the report of gunfire in the Rayburn HOB.
1. If you have not done so, lock your office doors.
2. The Capitol Police will soon commence a search of the Rayburn HOB floor by floor.
3. During the search, the police officers will knock 3 times on each office door, announce "United States Capitol Police", knock 3 additional times, and then voice the code word "BASEBALL".
4. Open your office doors for the police and cooperate with all police instructions.
5. All occupants should remain in their offices until the Capitol Police announce that it is safe to exit.
6. If there are special concerns about the identity of the person knocking on your door and you need to verify their identity, call [redacted]
12:18 -- New briefing at one. Reuters says: new lockdown at Capitol. Guy wheeled out on gurney. We're not gonna update this again until there's confirmation that someone actually fired a damn gun.
12:15 -- One anonymous phone call at 10:30. Was there someone on a gurney? No information. Video footage? No information. No reports of injuries. Reporter just used the word "guesstimate." OMG our spellchecker recognizes the word "guesstimate!!!" Cap police guy trying to whisper something in flack's ear -- she's not gonna tell us what he said! DAMMIT! BRIEFING OVER. LAME.
12:10 -- Fox sez gunman spotted, Cap police spokesperson says no independent confirmation. She has no information at all. Seems like there was just one uncorroborated call-in that led to this.
12:03 -- LOCKDOWN BACK ON! INDEPENDENCE AVE CLOSED AGAIN!
FOX SAYS GUNMAN SIGHTED! CAP POLICE BRIEFING DELAYED!
BEAR ON THE LOOSE!
Now the briefing's started.
First question -- is a congressman involved? OMG KATHERINE HARRIS!