Richard Nixon: America's Greatest Liberal
As we continue honoring the birth of Richard Milhouse Nixon, let's take a look at his liberal credentials.
If you only know "Tricky Dick" for his dictatorial presidency that very nearly ended two centuries of American democracy and first elevated amoral criminals such as Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld to the White House, then you'll surely be surprised by all the stuff we've hidden after the jump.
Nixon also distinguished himself by these lefty actions:
* Saved America's environment by creating the Environmental Protection Agency and Clean Air Act while approving the most sweeping environmental legislation in history.
* Simultaneously reformed welfare and brought in serious new civil-rights laws and agencies for minorities, women, the handicapped and children.
* Proclaimed the first official U.S. Earth Day/Earth Week in 1971.
* Totally reformed the government's relationship with Native Americans, bringing new self-determination and civil rights to U.S. tribes while saving such Indian natural wonders as Pyramid Lake -- the tribe even renamed its capital "Nixon."
* Was even described as "the Abraham Lincoln of the Indian people."
* Loved those Chinese communists.
* Spent more on social programs than defense!
* Fathered screaming ex-socialist lunatic Mojo Nixon.
There you go, hippies: Nixon was more liberal than Clinton.
Re-evaluating Richard Nixon: his domestic achievements [Nixon Era Center]