They Have the Google on Computers Now
This week, Mia Farrow, Mike Arcuri, John Boehner, Byron Dorgan, Marc Racicot, Henry Kissinger, Peter Welch, Charlie Rose, Bill Frist, Don Cheadle, Kal Penn, and Adam Kokesh were all spotted being various degrees of famous at various places by our spies and operatives. Voyeuristic fun, as always, is after the jump.
See someone we've heard of somewhere in or near the district? Tell us about it in an email, with the subject line "Wonk'd" or "Sighting."
* Saw mia farrow at national airport waiting for her flight to white plains. Overheard her talking to someone about the hearing she came from--she compared it to sitting through six straight college lectures. I think I heard her mention chad--the country, not the yuppie d-bag--but I can't be sure. No mention of woody though.
* Sat behind Congressman Mike Arcuri (D-NY) on the 9:15 US Air flight to Syracuse Thursday night (6/7). As much as I could tell, he didn't say a word to anyone around him. There was a local tv news crew set up at the terminal when we arrived - I assumed set up by his media folks.... but turns out he passed by without anyone's second glance, and the news crew moved on to interview a couple of teens from another flight.
* Last night (June 10) the Little Woman and I were downing margaritas at Rosa Mexicano at 7th and F Street. The place was packed with revelers from the Pride Week celebration. So who better to offset all the fabulousness than House Minority Leader John Boehner? He emerged in a cloud of cigarette smoke from a black SUV. He chained his way through four or five more smokes while waiting with his large group for a table.
* At quarter to 1, I saw Senator Byron Dorgan standing on the corner of Mass and 4th Street, NE, in front of the White Tiger restaurant. I was impressed by how well he was dressed (for a North Dakotan) and how fake his hair looks in direct sunlight. He was talking to an middle-aged staffer who desparately needs Extreme Makeover: Capitol Hill Edition.
* Around 1:30, I saw former Montana governor and RNC chairman Marc Racicot in the bottom floor of the Washington Square office building (Conn and L Street, NW) eating lunch with an assistant. The place has a restaurant and a post office, so people congregate there at the tables to eat their lunch. No jacket or tie: the governor must work hard for a living now! You think he'd at least eat at Morton's, which is on the second floor of the building. He appeared to be eating with the assistant, but not actually speaking to her. Big-timer!
* Henry Kissinger is sitting across the aisle from me on the acela to nyc. having a deep convo. about google with his companion "you know, they have a section for news too."
* Saw Peter Welch (D-VT) greet John Yarmuth (D-KY) with a righteous thumb to thumb soul brother handclasp today. Yarmuth was hip.
* Spotted Charlie Rose crossing Lexington Avenue in Manhattan yesterday (June 12) as I was headed to the subway; he's much taller (at least 6'4") and rugged in person than would otherwise appear, so I'm guessing the crack crew over at PBS pretties him up for the teevee.
* magical tele-diagnostician bill frist eating lunch at rosa mexicano sunday 6.10. with wife and son. frist junior unable to consume guacamole without leaving a hefty amount under his chair for the busboy to clean up. wife surprised that black waiter comes from maryland, not africa. probably. all in all a laugh riot.
* I was at the Uptown last night for the sneak preview of "Talk To Me," here's a crappy cellphone camera pic of Taraji P. Henson and Don Cheadle with director Kasi Lemmons. The movie was awesome, really great D.C. stuff. Don Cheadle was excellent as Petey Greene. They whisked him away to the airport as soon as the credits rolled, alas. The low point of the night was seeing Omarosa (sp?) from The Apprentice strutting around before the film down in front of the screen, making sure everyone in the room saw her. After the movie she pushed past me in the lobby so she could gush to the screenwriter: "That was GREAT WRITING." She looked rough.
* Waiting outside of the June 12th Mika concert at the 9:30 Club, my friends and I saw a couple of guys get out a cab and walk over to the club, then suddenly realized that one of those guys was Kal Penn, of Harold and Kumar fame (?). He and his friends chatted outside until the doors opened (and scored backstage passes, so jealous); a couple of people went up to him and quite a few stared, but mostly he was left alone, which was cool. Hope he enjoyed the show, I definitely did!
* Saw Adam Kokesh at Wonderland on Thursday (6/14) just before the Ra-Ra-Raputin show.
* Saw recently discharged Adam Kokesh at Wonderland last night with some chick in Teva sandals. He was wearing his "uniform," i.e. that damn t-shirt he's always wearing and was (for the record) Not Hot.