Trump Just Winging It Bigly Now. Wonkagenda For Tues., April 11, 2017
Steve Bannon does.
Morning Wonketariat! Here's some of the things we may be talking about today.
- Since the end of January, Donald Trump has authorized the deaths of 477 civilians in Iraq and Syria, but the Pentagon is calling it all a big misunderstanding. Pretty sure that's not the way you "win" hearts and minds...
- A Russian hacker (who likes to spam a lot) has been arrested in Spain at the request of US officials, and the rumor mill says that he may have created a computer virus "linked to Trump's election win." The game is afoot! [Morning Maddow]
- Former Bush officials who You're Fired gay employees are back in Washington working with the Trump team, but no one is sure what kind of purge they're working on this time.
- The State Department is holding off ambassador nominations and training as people (AKA donors) lobby Trump for fancy pants positions in Western Europe and the Caribbean.
- Breitbart is denying its editors told staffers to stop writing mean stories about Jared Kushner because it might make President Bannon look bad in the eyes of their God Emperor.
- The A.T.F. has been using a secret private account to finance operations, like redneck race car tickets, a trip to Vegas, and donations to a high school volleyball team.
- Trump's taking over the GOP and installing his minions throughout the the RNC in order to wrestle control from Freedom crazies and center-right Republicans in 2018 and 2020.
- What's the matter with Kansas that Trump has to record robocalls for the special election of Kansas's 4th District congressional seat, and the NRCC has to burn almost $100,000? Ya'll nervous? (HEY! GO VOTE.)
- The Iowa Secretary of State released misleading facts that alleged voter fraud, and his staff is kind of pissed.
- Robert Bentley has resigned as Governor of Alabama and pleaded guilty to phone-sexing an aide and trying to hide campaign cash.
- A Texas voter ID law has been struck down after a federal judge felt that it was totally intended to keep all the non-WASPY people from voting.
- Texas is having trouble deciding what kind of boomstick will grace its flag. That's not a joke, it's seriously a thing that's happening in Texas right now!
- Here's a depressing infographic about how congress is becoming minority rule. But wait, what's this? There are congress creeps holding town halls this week?
- Donald Trump Jr. won't run for governor of New York and we can't imagine why the spawn of someone so loathed wouldn't consider a humiliating run at public office.
- North Korea is threatening to launch nuclear missiles (as usual) if a U.S. Navy strike group gets too close. Meanwhile, China has told North Korea to keep its coal shipments, the hermit kingdom's chief export, because North Korean stuff is full of dongs, and smells like human slavery.
- Where the hell was Donald Trump during the White House Passover seder? Was he hanging out with Steve Bannon? Jared and Ivanka? The ghost of Walt Disney?
- The annual White House Easter Egg Roll sounds uncharacteristically depressing, and not just because there's no word if Spicey will once again put on the Easter rodent outfit.
- The Daily Show's Hasan Minhaj will host this years WHCD, likely because he's the only person who said yes. (Seriously though, Minhaj is great, but Wonket is still waiting for our Sam Bee invite.)
- And here's your late night wrap-up! Looks like everyone is on Spring Break except Jimmy Kimmel, who decided to keep it real with United Airlines.
- And here's your morning Nice Time! OMG, it's baby goats in sweaters!
Hey! 'Yer Wonkette is supported by readers like you, so donate/subscribe and we'll keep giving you all hard-hitting and independent 'splainerings, dick jokes, and mommy blogging you already love!