Who Said It? Donald Trump Or Neo-Nazi Derek From American History X?
If you've never seen American History X, the story of a reformed neo-Nazi named Derek Vinyard who tries desperately to save his younger brother from the wages of the hateful life that sent him to prison for murder, you need to watch it tonight. Especially right at this moment in our history, the film is vital. Violent white supremacists are no longer relegated to the fringes of American society but instead have somebody they perceive as their champion, Donald Trump, in the Oval Office. And they're getting more violent. And they're killing people.
We watched it last night for the first time in almost two decades, and something struck us. There's a flashback scene of Vinyard, played by Edward Norton, rallying his troops, right before they storm an immigrant-owned grocery store to assault and terrorize the people who work there, and the words of the speech he gave as he literally incited them to violence sounded ... familiar.
But we couldn't put our finger on exactly what it reminded us of! (We put our finger directly on it, we are just teasing for hilarious comedic effect.)
So without further ado, it is WONKETTE QUIZ TIME. Here are 19 statements. Some of them were made by Derek Vinyard before he and his friends committed violent neo-Nazi hate crimes against immigrants, others were made by the sitting president of the United States. Can YOU tell the difference?
Here's the clip from the movie if you love cheating:
American History X Speech www.youtube.com
1. "Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?"
2. "We need to open our eyes. There's over two million illegal immigrants bedding down in this state tonight."
3. "Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came?"
4. "This state spent three billion dollars last year on services for those people who had no right to be here in the first place! Three billion dollars, 400 million just to lock up a bunch of illegal immigrant criminals who only got into this country because the fucking INS decided it's not worth the effort to screen for violent felons!"
5. "When do we beat Mexico at the border? They're laughing at us, at our stupidity."
6. "Our border policy is a joke, so is anybody surprised that south of the border they're laughing at us, laughing at our laws?"
7. "You look at what is marching up, that is an invasion! That is an invasion!"
8. "This attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas."
9. "WHAT U REALLY SHOULD B ANGRY ABT IS THE INVASION OF MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS TKING OVER AMERICA!"
10. "Every night, thousands of these parasites stream across the border like some fucking piñata exploded."
11. "It's CRITICAL that we STOP THE INVASION."
12. "There's nothing funny going on here, it's about your life and mine. It's about decent hard-working Americans falling through the cracks and getting the shaft, because their government cares more about the constitutional rights of a bunch of people who aren't even citizens of this country!"
13. "Murders, Murders, Murders, Killings, Murders!"
14. "On the Statue of Liberty, it says 'Give me your tired, your hungry, your poor.' Well, it's Americans who are tired and hungry and poor! And I say until you take care of that, close the fucking book!"
15. "Democrats are the problem. They don't care about crime and want illegal immigrants, no matter how bad they may be, to pour into and infest our Country, like MS-13."
16. "We're losing our right to pursue our destiny. We're losing our freedom, so that a bunch of fucking foreigners can come in here and exploit our country."
17. "We have people coming into the country or trying to come in [...] You wouldn't believe how bad these people are. [...] These aren't people. These are animals."
18. "Are we going to stand by the sidelines? Quietly standing there while our country gets raped?"
19. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
There are vigils in many cities tonight called #ElPasoFirme: A call to action against white supremacy, anchored by RAICES, VotoLatino, MoveOn, the Poor People's Campaign and more. Click for more information and to find an event near you, if you're able to attend.
Now, you may have an OPEN THREAD.
[Oh yeah, and here is your answer key: Trump: 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19. Derek: 2,4,6,10,12,14,16,18. El Paso shooter's manifesto: 8.]
Follow Evan Hurst on Twitter RIGHT HERE, DO IT RIGHT HERE!
Wonkette is ad-free and funded ONLY by YOU, our dear readers. If you love Wonkette, SUPPORT WONKETTE.