October 07, 2006 03:33 PM
Wonkette's Week in Review: Trapped in the Closet
- There was really only one story in Washington this week: the Cocktober Surprise. If you read only one post on Mark Foley, well, this one's our most coherent. Because shortly after we put it together, everyone stopped making sense. Foley became a closet drinker, a closet scientologist (for a day or two), a closet democrat, and a hilarious punchline (NO MORE SAME PAGE JOKES, PLEASE).
- Then, just like that, it ended. Except not, really. They tried distractions -- naked Democrats!Nancy Pelosi and NAMBLA and flamers! -- but Denny Hastert's continued wind-twisting (slowly, slowly) suggested that Cocktober will last a long, long time.
- We did score the first interview with Mr. Foley, but he was sorta tight-lipped.
- Even in the midst of all this excitement, it's important to take some time to remember what we've lost.
- In other news: We resisted, we cut and ran, and we mourned.
- This story is only funny to 499 people, but sometimes that's how we roll.
- As usual, a distracted nation ignores the real criminals of Washington.
- This week's Friday Evening Newsdump was decidedly unsexy, but kind of a big deal.