bernie sanders black voters Blue Dog CIA cyberthreats Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces hacking Holman Rule jose andres obamacare omarosa pt News Brief rand paul repeal russia senate armed services committee trump trump international hotel washington d.c.
Bernie Sanders Does Fire And Brimstone! Wonkagenda For Thurs., Jan. 5, 2017
Morning Wonketariat! Here's some of the stories we may be talking about today!
- Wrath of God-style Bernie Sanders went on the Senate floor yesterday with a big cardboard cutout of a Trump tweet to rail against Trump's healthcare statements.
- The Senate Armed Services Committee will meet today for a hearing on foreign cyberthreats to the United States, which is a fancy Washington-speak way of saying some grumpy olds will kvetch about Russian hacking that intelligence agencies have confirmed definitely, 100%, absolutely happened.
- While the Senate complains about Russia, the CIA is facing restructuring under Trump's administration. Agents and analysts could be moved from U.S. offices and placed in posts overseas where they have less of a chance of riffling through the White House phone bill for long distance calls to Russia.
- The GOP is finding repealing Obamacare to be more tricky than they thought. Mostly because Trump voters seem to want Medicare For All.
- Four Blue Dog House Democrats are already selling out and backing a plan by Republicans that would strip rules and regulations signed by Obama in the last 60 days because they're worried about keeping their jobs. SAD!
- The Congressional cafeteria could become one of the more surprising battlefields in the next few months now that Obama's Labor Department has fired two federal contractors for violating the 2014 Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces executive order.
- Republicans also reinstated the 130-year-old Holman rule which could cut the pay of federal workers to $1 as part of a new rules package that will allow any rank-and-file legislator in the House to propose cuts to specific federal programs or jobs.
- Conservative states with liberal cities are trying to preemptively block legislation so that local governments can't clean up their own parks, protect undocumented immigrants, or ban indoor smoking without the approval of Big Papa Trump.
- Reality teevee Trumpkin Omarosa Manigault says that African-Americans are shifting to the GOP in large numbers, a statement that is diametrically opposite to all available data, and not based in reality.
- Trump is set to be deposed as part of a suit at his D.C. hotel after chef Jose Andres decided he hated taco bowls full of freedom.
- Obama has published a a really long and super nerdy 'splainer in the Harvard Law Review about sentencing reform that's aimed at pushing people to consider the financial and human cost of throwing non-violent offenders in jail. Pff, elitist!
- And now your morning Nice Time, a baby toucan! It just wanted to pop in and say, "hi"!