It's 'Giving Tuesday,' So GIVE IT, You!
It's the annual start of the War On Christmas season. You've all made the leftover turkey into the excellent strata and eaten that, too, and you've very thoughtfully bought NOTHING on Commerce Friday and Teen Wage-Slave Saturday, and you refrained from celebrating Gassing Mothers and Children Sunday, because you are not a monster like Timi Lathrop. And now it is the HashtagGivingTuesday, when you leverage your extra cash into helping other people, only without being all sanctimonious about it because you're better than that (and immune to flattery, too, even though you're much more generous, smarter, and better-looking than others. Have we mentioned you really smell good, too?).
So here, let Yr Wonkette tell you where you should send your generosity, and in the comments you can suggest other worthy causes also too! Many but not all of these are legit tax-deductible charities what you can deduct on your taxes, but you'll want to check the fine print and shit because that's how you should do.
- Support the migrant parents and kids Trump has declared war on by helping out RAICES, the San Antonio-based nonprofit that has been working to keep immigrant kids and families together. Send money to help pay for lawyers here -- having legal representation is often the biggest factor in preventing deportation. RAICES also provides representation and case management through their "Families Together Fund," and if you want to just make a general contribution, here's the link for that, too!
- There's also CARA -- an umbrella organization for the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, the American Immigration Council, the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services, and the American Immigration Lawyers Association. Together, they provide legal services at immigration detention centers.
- To help kids who are already in immigration detention, there's Kids in Need of Defense, which provides children with representation in immigration court and also lobbies for children's legal interests. Donate here.
- Civil rights in general are also under attack, so remember the ACLU. Also! The Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti-Defamation League and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and the Center For Constitutional Rights. All are out there on the front lines of the fight against Trumpfuckery. You want to focus on voting rights? We got your Brennan Center for Justice, not to mention Barry Obama and Eric Holder's nifty new project to unfuck all the gerrymandering, the National Democratic Redistricting PAC.
- Want to do good things for people all over the world? You can't beat Doctors Without Borders and Oxfam and Amnesty International and those DO-have-a-cow, man, folks at Heifer International, who will help you give a poor family or village a chicken or goat or other livestock. We're fairly sure they have safeguards in place to keep any goats from going to Erick Erickson the goatfucker.
- The National Center For Lesbian Rights (NCLR) and the Trevor Project and Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Fund, for LGBT equality, LGBT suicide prevention and ending LGBT homelessness, in that order.
- You were inspired this year by the hero teens organizing for commonsense reform of gun laws? Help drive the NRA into irrelevance with a contribution to Everytown for Gun Safety, to Moms Demand Action, or to the granddaddy of NRA-fighters, the Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence.
- Healthcare! Trump's still at war with it, and you can give to the Patient Access Network and St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
- You know WHICH PLANET the Trump administration is at war with? The one we live on! Fight back with a donation to the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), the National Center for Science Education (NCSE), the Sierra Club, or the Environmental Voter Project!
- Find your local organizations! Wonkette Robyn suggested the Chicago Coalition For The Homeless, which is in Chicago! Wonkette Evan in Memphis is a big fan of Choices (Memphis Center For Reproductive Health) and OUT Memphis, which is about all things Gay and BLT. Yr Doktor Zoom is a Boisean and supports the refugee assistance programs of the International Rescue Committee in that fine smallish city, not to mention the ACLU of Idaho.
- MOAR LOCAL MOTION: Wonkette Five Dollar Feminist recommends Civic Works, a Baltimore education, job-training and service group. Wonkette Social Media maven Bianca calls your attention to Bean's Cafe, which feeds the homeless and also fixes lunches for kids in Anchorage without preaching at 'em. Wonkette Stephen urges you to donate to the Seattle Public Theater, which aims to build a better world through the arts. Yr Editrix would post a link for her local food bank, where Yr Shypixel volunteers, but they do not even have a webpage, so go find your local food pantry and help/volunteer!
- Finally, that Trump guy is also at war with journamalism and journamalists, so please help keep the truth coming by throwing your extra gold and silver at Mother Jones, ProPublica, and the Texas Tribune, and give/subscribe to any other publications/websites you know to do hard-hitting, good, investigative journalism. Support press freedom internationally at Reporters Without Borders, too!
OH AND WONKETTE, YOU NEED DICK JOKES AND GOOD WRITING AND JOURNALISM TOO, GIVE WONKETTE THE MONEYS. Heck, you don't even need those links sending you elsewhere; you can just send us money ON THIS VERY PAGE
You are simply the best, you know that? Of course you do!
Doktor Zoom's real name is Marty Kelley, and he lives in the wilds of Boise, Idaho. He is not a medical doctor, but does have a real PhD in Rhetoric. You should definitely donate some money to this little mommyblog where he has finally found acceptance and cat pictures. He is on maternity leave until 2033. Here is his Twitter, also. His quest to avoid prolixity is not going so great.